Saturday, October 3, 2015

The Beginning Stages

The night Austin proposed, I literally was using all my brain power to remind myself to breath. But the next day on the way home from Times Square, it's like my mind was on crack. I talked most of the way home and then crashed. There were a few wedding details I knew immediately. Maybe 6 months ago or so I had a dream, the only "my wedding" dream I've ever had (that I remember). It was really short, but when I woke up I thought "I HAVE to get married so I can do that!"

Here's what the dream was.

I was walking out to the dance floor for our first dance, a certain song was playing (that I can't disclose yet because I'm using it as our first dance song). I had long, wavy, lavender hair, and all my bridesmaids were wearing lavender dresses.

That's all I dreamt but it was powerful to me. I know that sounds super corny.

So anyways, I asked Austin if that was ok (especially the part where I have purple hair). He had no problem with it and said I could do whatever I wanted. Man of my dreams here, people.

It didn't take us long to choose the month of October. We can't stand the humidity/heat in the summer and the spring is soggy and winter is so unpredictable and COLD and we just love fall anyways. From the very start I said NO outdoor wedding. No way no how. Not in Baltimore. Do I think outdoor weddings are absolutely gorgeous? YES! Do I wan't the stress of wondering every day for the next year if we are going to have a hurricane on my wedding date? NO! But guess what? My wonderful parents offered us the use of their back yard and we took it. I love their yard. It holds so many memories for me. It's a beautiful yard. And where could I possibly be more comfortable celebrating my marriage than home? I have my good days and my bad days thinking about the weather. I'll think "I can't control the weather so there's no point in worrying about it." with a smile on my face... give it about 7 seconds before I start freaking out because "I CAN'T CONTROL THE WEATHER OMG WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!?!?!?"

In order to keep some of the stress under control I asked my sister to basically plan the wedding for me. I have never been happier in my life, and even though every bride is forced to plan their own wedding and I am no special case, I happen to have an older sister who not only has a passion for looking out for me (and telling me what to do *cough* love you, Cath), but LOVES planning! So I flat out told her "I want to do the fun stuff, and I want you to make the phone calls and deal with the people." I'm pretty sure Christmas arrived early for her this year. I handed over my wedding planner and some information and she is on the case. I cannot describe the weight that lifted off my chest when she agreed, happily.

My mom is doing so much to help too. She is making the cake and a few other desserts I found on Pinterest. She volunteered to make the place cards, do I have the best family or what? And she gave me her wedding dress to alter (that will be an entire nother post). 

If I could give any wedding planning advice, it would be this. DON'T try to do it by yourself. Accept the help that is offered and don't be afraid to ask for help. Because I would be lost without my family. I am having the time of my life making this a special and fun occasion. I can't believe I have to wait 364 days before I get to say "I do" and celebrate making the best decision of my life surrounded by those closest to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment